Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Now no true southerner would ever use a instant grit so that is understood. In the true version of this dish was simply some plain or cheese grits with a wonderful shrimp. Creamy grits are the key along with the true hominy grits insteast of ground corn grits. slow cook them and you will not be disappointed
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine the water, milk, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Bring the liquid to a gentle boil. Stir in the grits don't dump the grits or you will get lumps but rather constantly stir while letting the grits fall into pot.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes at a very low simmer, stirring occasionally. **The grits will stick to the bottom of the pan, so make sure not to scrape the bottom of the pan.**.
- Add hot water if the grits become to dry.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cheese if desired.
- In a separate pot add shrimp to boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp to top grits served in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.another variation on the shrimp would be to saute them in salt, pepper, butter, garlic until just turned pink. wither way is great!