Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is true comfort food.
Make and share this Old-Fashioned Potato-Beef Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with water to cover by 1 inch.
- Add a generous pinch of salt and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender; do not overcook.
- Drain the potatoes and arrange them in a 9 x 9 inch casserole dish.
- While potatoes are cooking, in large skillet, combine the beef and onion and cook together over medium heat until the beef is browned and the onion softened, 12-15 minutes.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and whisk in flour to make a roux.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and the flour turns light brown in color.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and continue to stir while cooking over medium heat.
- When the mixture thickens, whisk in the salt and pepper, then stir in the cheese and browned beef.
- Pour the ground beef mixture over the potatoes and bake the casserole for 20 minutes until heated through and bubbling.
- Stir the casserole gently.
- Sprinkle a little more cheddar cheese on top, if desired, and the bread crumbs on top of the casserole and bake until the crumbs are toasted, about 5 minutes longer.
The whole family liked this recipe after we added just a bit more salt and pepper at the table. Hubby and I thought it needed just a little more "sauce" to it. It was wonderful as leftovers too!
Good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written. We all enjoyed it and I liked that it was made with ingredients I normally have on hand.
yummy! Nice belly warmer for a cold winter night.