Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
They say necessity is the mother of invention. I can go with that, since this recipe came about to appease my hubby's cravings for stuffed peppers and his deep, abiding love of red beans and rice. The man loves the red beans and rice, possible more than me. :) There are a lot of steps listed in the recipe, but it is really quick getting the peppers to the oven. Cooking time is for the longest range of bake time.
- Remove tops from green pepper and clean insides. Try to level bottoms of peppers if needed, so they will stand flat. Chop tops of peppers and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large skillet, brown ground turkey, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper for about 5 minutes.
- When turkey is almost done, add rice and beans mix, green pepper tops, and water. Cover, and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When rice is tender, turn off heat. Stir in tomato sauce, and taste the mixture for seasoning. You may need to add more garlic and/or pepper to suit your family's taste.
- Spray an 8x13 glass pan with cooking spray. Carefully stuff peppers with turkey mixture. (It's hot!) and set peppers in greased pan. They will be slippy, but it makes for an easier clean up.
- Bake peppers for 20-40 minutes, depending on how soft you like your peppers.
- When peppers reach desired tenderness, top with shredded cheese. Remove peppers from oven when cheese reaches a nice, melty state.
- Be careful. Remember, you greased the pan, so the peppers may slide.
- Let rest 5 minutes, and enjoy!