1/2 Photos of New Orleans French Bread
3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Nice crusty loaf, soft inside.. traditional New Orleans style loafs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast, salt and sugar in warm water.
- 2Gradually stir in flour, adding only until the mixture refuses to absorb more.
- 3On a floured board knead the dough for 3-4 minutes.
- 4Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and brush the top lightly with butter.
- 5Cover with a damp cloth.
- 6Set the dough aside in a warm place to rise for 1 1/2 hours or until it is double in bulk.
- 7Butter a baking sheet and sprinkle it with cornmeal, shaking off the excess.
- 8Punch down the dough.
- 9Transfer the dough to a floured board and divide it into thirds.
- 10Roll each portion into an 8 x 13 inch rectangle.
- 11Roll each rectangle up from the long side, seal and shape ends.
- 12Place the loaves on the prepared baking sheet and with a sharp knife make several diagonal cuts across the tops.
- 13Brush lightly with melted butter.
- 14Let rise in a warm place about 45 minutes.
- 15Place the bread on the middle rack in oven.
- 16Place a pan of hot water on bottom of oven.
- 17Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes.
- 18Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes.
- 19Note: Cooking time includes rising times.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 869.7
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 2390.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 168.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 23.1 g