Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Smooth cool elegant rich chicken liver pate....A lovely recipe resurrected by The Times-Picayune from 1997 in response to a request - it is a Marcelle Bienvenu recipe (that ensures it is outstanding).
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken livers
- 2 egg yolks, hard-boiled
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup cognac
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped (fresh chives OK)
- Saute the onions in 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken livers and cook just until the pink disappears. Remove from heat.
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Put the egg yolks through a sieve and add to the liver mixture together with the 4 tablespoons softened butter, cream, Cognac, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Process to mix well.
- Spoon the pate into a decorative bowl, cover and chill for several hours. Sprinkle the top of the pate with the green onions and chives before serving with toast points or crackers.