Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spicy, Spicy shrimp dish, the best I've ever eaten. From "The Frugal Gourmet". Get your napkins ready...
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 lb butter or 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons crab boil seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, in the shell
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a frying pan, fry bacon until clear.
- Add margarine and all other ingredients except shrimp.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place shrimp, in a single layer, in a baking dish and pour sauce over the top.
- Stir to coat.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Stir once or twice.
- Serve immediately.
- You can peel these when you eat them, but not before.
- Serve with plenty of napkins!
I've been making this dish for over 20yrs. now & it's always been a family favorite. I just made it last night for my daughter's 28th birthday dinner. I buy the frozen shrimp from Costco, it comes shelled. It doesn't make any difference. I use more garlic than the recipe calls for, I've also done it without bacon during Lent. You can't taste the difference. I serve it over red beans & rice with good sourdough bread for dipping. It's always a hit.
I've made this recipe off and on for over 20yrs. I finally lost it and oh, how upset I was since my nephew is coming to visit and this is the best any of us has ever tasted! I took a chance and checked for it on line and low and behold it was the first recipe to pop up. Thank you, thank you. You have noooo idea how great this recipe is! Anymore than 5 stars?????
this is the best ever, i have served this many times and people go nuts, i also use whatever hot sauce i have on hand. the japonese hot sauce works great.