Darn close to the Schlotzsky Original sandwich! The olive salad recipe is from Food Network. For the buns, use Sourdough Sandwich Buns (Schlotzsky Style). Can be eaten hot or cold. Enjoy!
Creole Olive Salad
- 1⁄2 cup pitted brine-cured black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup large pimento stuffed olive, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 sourdough buns, Sourdough Sandwich Buns (Schlotzsky Style)
- 3⁄4-1 cup creole olive salad
- 4 ounces mortadella, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces italian ham, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese or 4 ounces fontina, thinly sliced
- pickled pepperoncini pepper, garnish
- Combine all the olive salad ingredients and mix well.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Spread a couple tablespoon of olive salad in the inside of top of the bun.
- Alternating layers of meats and cheese on the bottom half (alternating).
- Carefully close the sandwich.
- Can be eaten hot or cold.
- To heat, wrap in foil and place in 350 degree oven for 8 minutes, or lightly grill until cheese is melted.
- Serve garnished with pepperoncini pepper.