A delicious, grilled version of the classic New Orleans sandwich. If you can't find prepared olive salad then try to use a chunky style olive tapenade.
- softened butter
- 8 slices rustic bread or 8 slices sourdough bread
- 16 slices provolone cheese (thin slices) or 16 slices mozzarella cheese (thin slices)
- 1⁄2 cup olive salad, drained or 1⁄2 cup olive tapenade
- 6 ounces thinly sliced black forest ham
- 6 ounces sliced mortadella
- 4 ounces sliced genoa salami
- Brush both sides of bread lightly with butter.
- Layer 4 slices cheese over four of the slices of bread.
- Top with olive salad, ham, mortadella, salami, remaining cheese and bread.
- Cook sandwiches in a preheated panini press until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Note: Sandwiches may be cooked in a preheated ridged grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Place a heavy skillet on top of sandwiches to flatten; cook 3 minutes. Turn; replace skillet and continue to cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Definitely a great sandwich & very adaptive to changes. I used a chunkier version of Green Olivida Crostini for the olive salad and sliced turkey. We'll make these again!
I reside in the land of Katrina blight, Mardi Gras revelers and great food culture. Though never a dull moment, I don't know what would make me cry more...eating massive amounts of muffulettas or never having it in my life again. Made for Best of 2010.
WOW! Was this ever good! My GF and I woofed down these sandwiches like there was no tomorrow! Loved them! Mike