1/1 Photo of Muffuletta (Cook's Illustrated)
9 hrs 30 mins
Debbie R.'s Note:
This is from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, the same folks as Cook's Illustrated. I trust them with any endeavor. I haven't tried this recipe yet. This is an uncooked sandwich, so I used the "cooking time" to enter the minimum amount of time you'd have to have to let everything marinade and meld as needed This recipe is different from others already posted because it uses oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes in the olive salad. Sounds good to me!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml green olives (pitted and coarsely chopped)
- 236.59 ml black olives (pitted and coarsely chopped)
- 177.44 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 113.39 g jarred roasted red peppers (drained and chopped fine, 1/2 cup)
- 113.39 g sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (drained and chopped, 1/2 cup)
- 59.14 ml minced fresh parsley
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1For the olive salad, mix everything together. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 24 hours.
- 2To make the sandwich: Drain olive salad, saving the marinade. Cut the bread in half horizontally and remove most of the soft interior. Brush both inside pieces of the bread with the reserved marinade.
- 3Place half of the olive salad in the bottom half of the hollowed-out bread. Top it with the cold cuts. Put on the rest of the olive salad. Put top half of bread on top of it all.
- 4Wrap in plastic wrap. Put it between two dinner plates. (It might work best to turn the top plate upside down, depending on if the plates have any curvature to them or not.) Put 2 or 3 heavy cans on top of it to work as weights. (Mufuletta is pressed-down sandwich). Chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
- 5To serve, unwrap and cut into wedges.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Muffuletta (Cook's Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 943.4
- Calories from Fat 622
- Total Fat 69.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 84.6 mg
- Sodium 2820.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 32.8 g