1/2 Photos of Mom's Turkey/Chicken Hash
Redneck Epicurean's Note:
OH HEAVEN IN A BOWL! If there was ever a definition of comfort food, this would be one of them. Mom and Pop were poor when they got married and it just seemed only sensible to stretch leftovers tighter than the elastic on Sister Bertha's (second pew, piano side) pantyhose. This makes your leftovers something totally new! In fact, I've been known to stew a chicken just to make this. It's also good for when you're stuck in the snow.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups prepared cornbread stuffing
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 2 cups cornbread (leftover or freshly made)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (canned or homemade)
- 1 cup giblet gravy (cut up any chunks of anything, egg or meat)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or chopped) or 2 cups cooked turkey (shredded or chopped)
- 1NOTE: The best time to prepare the meat for this dish is right after the meal when you're putting away leftovers. Pick the meat off the carcass and shred with your fingers. If you do this while the bird is still warm, it is SO much easier than when it's cold. ALSO: the best broth comes from the drippings in the pan, so if you have to use canned, heat the broth up with your chicken meat stirred in to make a better flavored stock.
- 2In a very large skillet, crumble the stuffing and cornbread. Stir in the celery, onion, and meat. Pour on the giblet gravy and start with 2 cups of chicken stock.
- 3Heat over low heat; mash with a potato masher to break up the cornbread and dressing. It should be moist, but not soupy.
- 4Cover loosely and simmer until heated through. Add more chicken stock if it gets dry. This can be served with or without side dishes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Turkey/Chicken Hash
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.4
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.2 mg
- Sodium 2384.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 27.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: