Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
As kids we loved when mom made this gravy.She typically served it with corn bread,some type of green and fried ham.
- Melt butter and oil in skillet.
- Add flour and brown slowly.
- Do not burn and keep mixture spreadable.
- After browning ,remove from heat to cool.
- After cooling add tomatoes ,juices and water.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Return to heat stirring constantly untill mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat,add salt , pepper and sugar.
- Stir and serve.
This was excellent and easy. I put it over cornbread as some suggested yum yum. thanks for the great recipe
Easy to make and tastes great. Used margarine instead of butter since I wanted to make it non-dairy. It is very good on meatloaf and I just have to try it with toast and poached egg as Miss Annie mentioned in her review, sounds scrumptious! Found that half a teaspoon salt and about seven turns on the pepper mill was just right for spices. Thanks for posting.
I love this gravy. When I make this Southern dish, I usually use it on meatloaf. Leftovers are used for breakfast. Toast, poached egg, and Tomato Gravy. Now that is some serious good stuff. I made this as you wrote it, and it's so similar to mine. Sometimes, if I have it on hand, I use bacon drippings instead of the butter to give it another layer of taste. Thanks so much for posting this recipe.