Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my recipe for meat loaf. However, I have always cooked it in a 9x11 pyrex baking dish so my husband calls it meat cake. It even has an "icing " on top. I usually make mashed potatoes and a green vegetable to go with this. I also have enough leftovers to make meat cake sandwiches later in the week. The meat cake sandwiches are delicious.
- 2 lbs hamburger meat
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 7⁄8 ounce brown gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Saute first 3 ingredients till translucent and let cool.
- Mix together bread crumbs, milk, and eggs.
- Add in 1/2 can of the tomato paste till mixed inches.
- Add the sauteed vegetables.
- Mix in the worcestershire, Mrs. Dash and salt and pepper.
- By hand mix in the meat so it is well incorporated with all other ingredients.
- Pour into the pyrex and flatten out so is even through out the pan.
- In separate bowl mix together 1/2 cup ketchup and can of tomato sauce.
- Pour it on top of of the cake and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- In sauce pan mix the rest of the tomato paste with 1 cup water.
- Follow the rest of the directions on the gravy mix.
- Serve the tomato gravy with the meat cake.