1/2 Photos of Me & Ma's Southern Style Scratch Cornbread
This cornbread recipe was passed down from my Granny (I call her Ma because she raised me). She likes her Southern Style Cornbread without the sweet taste, so when I prepare the cornbread I add Seasoned Salt to give the cornbread a distinct taste & a modern spin. This recipe can be prepared either way to your liking. This recipe is also prepared in a hot cast-iron skillet & that is the only way I know how to make true Southern Style Cornbread. Delicious freshly baked; this corn bread can also be cooled and used the next day for use in Turkey or Chicken dressing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar (OR for sweet cornbread use 1 1/2 tablespoons Sugar)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (OR for sweet cornbread use 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt)
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (heaping)
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno juice (or white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (heaping, when scooped out solid)
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, beat the egg then add sour cream, vinegar & buttermilk and beat again until thoroughly mixed.
- 3Pour the egg/buttermilk/sour cream mixture into the dry ingredients and stir the mixture until smooth.
- 4Melt shortening in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet on the stovetop using high heat, making sure to thoroughly coat the sides of the skillet with the shortening as the shortening melts (I stick a knife in one of the solid chunks of shortening and coat the sides of the pan until the shortening melts away).
- 5Add melted shortening to the cornbread mixture, stir mixture thoroughly, and then pour mixture into the cast-iron skillet.
- 6Keep skillet on high heat and let the mixture sit for about 30 seconds.
- 7Remove skillet from stovetop and place in 450°F oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a light, golden brown.
- 8Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes then cut into wedges, serve hot and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Me & Ma's Southern Style Scratch Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.2
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.1 mg
- Sodium 270.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: