Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
Straight from Cajun Country, featuring duck, fresh sausage and several blends of spices, so let the good times roll!
- 1 (5 -6 lb) ducklings, cut up into 8 pieces
- 4 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, divided
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb fresh smoked sausage
- 2 cucumbers, seeded, and diced or 2 mirlitons, peeled seeded, and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallion
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Preheat oven to 400. Season duck all over with cajun seasoning,Worcestershire and 1 teaspoon Tabasco. Place duck on a rack and put the rack on a large baking pan. This will let the fat run onto the baking pan and keeps the greese off the duck. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove the duck and drain the fat from the baking pan. Place pan on low heat atop stove and pour 1/2 cup water stirring and scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon. When the bottom is clean pour water into a large stock pot. Add the roasted duck to pot.
- In a skillet prepare roux: Over medium heat combine peanut oil and flour stirring all the time until it turns a dark caramel color, about 20 minutes.
- Add roux ,chicken broth,half the onion,half the celery,half the bell pepper,garlic,bat leaves,smoked sausage,remaining tabasco and the duck pieces. Bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove sausage ,allow to cool and cut into slices and set aside. Add remaining onion,celery and bell pepper for another 30 minutes. Add the sliced sausage back into the pot, season with salt and pepper, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Stir in scallions and parsley. Serve over rice.