1/1 Photo of Mardi Gras Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
2 hrs 30 mins
Kim D.'s Note:
My husband is allergic to seafood, so I took several gumbo recipes and came up with this one. I serve this with white rice and warm French bread for dipping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 small yellow onions, divided
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 10 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock (use the stock that the chicken is cooked in)
- 1 lb smoked sausage (we like "hot")
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1Place whole chicken in a large stockpot.
- 2Fill with 8 cups of water, or enough to cover the chicken.
- 3Place butter and chicken bouillon in the stockpot.
- 4Peel one onion and chop in large chunks; place in stockpot.
- 5Place pot on stove and simmer over medium heat for about 1-2 hours or until chicken is done.
- 6Remove pot from stove.
- 7Reserving stock, remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a cutting board to cool.
- 8Once chicken has cooled, debone and discard bones.
- 9Chop finely remaining onion, bell pepper and celery and set aside.
- 10In a large stockpot, heat canola oil.
- 11Slowly add flour, a tablespoon at a time, stirring slowly and constantly with a whisk for about 20 minutes.
- 12This is your roux and it should cook until it becomes chocolate brown in color.
- 13Be sure not to let the roux burn. If you see black specks in your roux you should throw it out and start over.
- 14Add onion, bell pepper and celery to the roux; stirring for about 3-4 minutes until they become soft.
- 15Stir in 6 cups of chicken stock (which you reserved from cooking the chicken).
- 16Slice the smoked sausage and add it to the stockpot.
- 17Season the gumbo with the Tabasco, cayenne, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and parsley.
- 18Cover, and reduce heat to low and allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
- 19Add the chicken meat and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- 20Serve in bowls and top each bowl with white rice.
- 21Additional dried parsley can be sprinkled on top for garnish.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mardi Gras Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (966 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1834.6
- Calories from Fat 1296
- Total Fat 144.0 g
- Saturated Fat 45.7 g
- Cholesterol 392.9 mg
- Sodium 2828.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 94.8 g