This Cajun dish, similar to succotash, pairs well with rice & seafood or chicken. This version comes from the Commander's Palace in New Orleans. This was first published in Saveur Magazine, issue # 119. We were testing different dishes for our Cafe Ponce, here at the home, and I saw this and we tested it and it became an instant hit! (The only thing we didn't include was the jalapeno! - Too bad, they don't know what they missed!) We made four batches - two and two.;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 5 small okra, stemmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 ears corn, shucked, kernels sliced off or 10 ounces frozen corn
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 lge shrimp, peeled, tails on
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups steamed white rice, for serving
- scallion, cut on the bias, for sprinkling over the rice
- 1In a 12" skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 7 minutes.
- 2Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate; set aside.
- 3Melt 1 tablespoons butter in hot bacon fat.
- 4Add garlic, shallots, peppers, and jalapenos and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 5Increase heat to high; add okra and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes.
- 6Stir in scallions and remaining butter and season with salt and pepper; set aside and keep warm.
- 7Meanwhile, heat oven to broil and place a rack 8" from broiler element.
- 8Toss shrimp with oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Transfer shrimp in a single layer to an aluminum foil–lined baking sheet and broil, turning once using tongs, until pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- 10Serve the maque choux and shrimp on top of a bed of rice; garnish with reserved bacon and a sprinkling of scallions.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macque Choux and Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 739.8
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 194.5 mg
- Sodium 322.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: