SO fattening but SO worth it!! This truly is the best mac and cheese I've ever eaten.
Make and share this Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter a 13 X 9 baking dish and set aside.
- In large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over medium low heat and add flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 - 4 minutes. (Flour must foam in order to cook the raw flour taste out. Do NOT let your flour burn.).
- Add cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Raise heat to medium high and gradually add in hot milk.
- Bring to a hard simmer, and cook and stir constantly for 3 - 5 minutes, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheese until melted.
- Stir in cooked, drained macaroni.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the remaining cheese in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Add half of the cheese and pasta mixture, spreading evenly.
- Add 3/4 cup shredded cheese to that, and repeat with remaining pasta mixture.
- Top casserole with remaining cheese.
- Pour heavy cream (or half and half) over top of casserole.
- In small frying pan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and add fresh bread crumbs, coating thoroughly and toasting slightly.
- Sprinkle evenly over top of macaroni and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
I have tried many Mac and cheese recipes and this by far was the best! The only change I made was adding about a 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg. It turned out perfect! Thank you!
The BEST mac and cheese ever! I think the secret is cooking the 'raw flour taste out' which is why I never like any other macaroni recipes because its too flour-y tasteing. I only discovered this recipe recently and have made It several times already. The only thing I change Is using whipping cream instead of thickend cream as I dont eat It. TY ewells
I made this for a group and it was a hit. Next time I'll use better quality cheese though... with a bit of a sharper taste. (just my preference). Overall good stuff though...