1/1 Photo of Macaroni and Cheese
SO fattening but SO worth it!! This truly is the best mac and cheese I've ever eaten.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Butter a 13 X 9 baking dish and set aside.
- 3In large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over medium low heat and add flour.
- 4Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 - 4 minutes. (Flour must foam in order to cook the raw flour taste out. Do NOT let your flour burn.).
- 5Add cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and mix well.
- 6Raise heat to medium high and gradually add in hot milk.
- 7Bring to a hard simmer, and cook and stir constantly for 3 - 5 minutes, until mixture thickens.
- 8Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheese until melted.
- 9Stir in cooked, drained macaroni.
- 10Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the remaining cheese in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- 11Add half of the cheese and pasta mixture, spreading evenly.
- 12Add 3/4 cup shredded cheese to that, and repeat with remaining pasta mixture.
- 13Top casserole with remaining cheese.
- 14Pour heavy cream (or half and half) over top of casserole.
- 15In small frying pan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and add fresh bread crumbs, coating thoroughly and toasting slightly.
- 16Sprinkle evenly over top of macaroni and cheese.
- 17Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.9
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 126.2 mg
- Sodium 566.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 27.1 g