This came from a cookbook from a Chef I worked for. We tweaked it to make it our own. We made this every day. People would come in to work and run in the kitchen for a small taste. They couldn't go the day without it. It's a little involved, but well worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups shrimp stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups onions, diced
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups green bell peppers, seeded de-ribbed and chopped
- 2 lbs small shrimp
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon gumbo file
- 1In a large pot place the butter and the tomatoes over med high heat. Cook down until butter is gone and the tomtoes are broken down.
- 2While cooking tomatoes, turn oven to broil and place all spices with the vegetables and cook until the edges start to blacken.
- 3Turn vegetables and repeat.
- 4Remove vegetables and place in pot.
- 5Cook until vegetables are soft.
- 6Add stock and cook for 20 minutes.
- 7Add shrimp and cook until shrimp starts to turn pink.
- 8Remove and serve over rice.
- 9Do not overcook the shrimp, they will become chewy.
Browse Our Top Creole Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Creole Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Shrimp Creole
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.1
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 188.0 mg
- Sodium 1077.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: