Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This came from a cookbook from a Chef I worked for. We tweaked it to make it our own. We made this every day. People would come in to work and run in the kitchen for a small taste. They couldn't go the day without it. It's a little involved, but well worth it.
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups shrimp stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups onions, diced
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups green bell peppers, seeded de-ribbed and chopped
- 2 lbs small shrimp
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gumbo file
- In a large pot place the butter and the tomatoes over med high heat. Cook down until butter is gone and the tomtoes are broken down.
- While cooking tomatoes, turn oven to broil and place all spices with the vegetables and cook until the edges start to blacken.
- Turn vegetables and repeat.
- Remove vegetables and place in pot.
- Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add stock and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until shrimp starts to turn pink.
- Remove and serve over rice.
- Do not overcook the shrimp, they will become chewy.