Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Gumbo roux recipe shared with me years ago by a cajun coworker. He didn't give me the measurements on the flour or oil & I haven't made this in years so you might have to tweak the recipe a bit. I thought I had lost the recipe and was very excited to find it today! :)
- Mix all purpose flour and cooking oil to a peanut butter consistency.
- Spread about 3/4" thick in a baking dish.
- Bake at 350 until dark brown. (Be careful not to burn it! If you do, throw it out. It will be bitter).
- When done, add roux to 3 quarts boiling water. (Approx. 2 tablespoons roux to 1 quart of water).
- Add all remaining ingredients and your roux is complete!
- Double or triple the recipe if desired. Roux can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for weeks.