Gumbo roux recipe shared with me years ago by a cajun coworker. He didn't give me the measurements on the flour or oil & I haven't made this in years so you might have to tweak the recipe a bit. I thought I had lost the recipe and was very excited to find it today! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix all purpose flour and cooking oil to a peanut butter consistency.
- 2Spread about 3/4" thick in a baking dish.
- 3Bake at 350 until dark brown. (Be careful not to burn it! If you do, throw it out. It will be bitter).
- 4When done, add roux to 3 quarts boiling water. (Approx. 2 tablespoons roux to 1 quart of water).
- 5Add all remaining ingredients and your roux is complete!
- 6Double or triple the recipe if desired. Roux can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for weeks.
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Gumbo Roux
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.7
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 783.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 5.3 g