1 hr 15 mins
Pokey in San Antonio, TX's Note:
My sister-in-law lives in northern Louisiana, near Haughton. I go hunting with her husband every year. While there, they will always do up a mess of fish (pearch, brim, catfish, what ever is on hand). This is their sure-fire recipe for one heck of a fish fry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Fish
- 6 lbs fresh water fish fillets
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- 2 (10 ounce) packages cornmeal (Louisiana Fish Fry)
For the Hush Puppies
- 3 cups crackers (crumbled)
- 5 green onions (chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Corn
- 1For the fish: Smear a light coating of Tabasco over the filets. Season with Tony's, then coat with Louisiana Fish Fry (or other seasoned corn meal), and place in freezer until ready to fry up. Note: You don't want the fish frozen, but very cold.
- 2Deep fry in hot oil. My brother in law cooks the fish out on the deck, using a liquid propane burner and a cast iron Dutch oven. He drops an unlit kitchen match in the oil. When it ignites, the oil is ready. That's around 325-350 degrees if you want to use a thermometer. Drop a few pieces of fish in at a time. Remove when golden brown and drop into a brown paper bag to drain and keep warm until all the fish is done.
- 3For the Hush Puppies: Crumble 1 1/2 sleeves of crackers by placing them in a zip lock bag and rolling with a rolling pin. Combine with remaining ingredients. Using two spoons, form into oval (foot ball shaped) balls.
- 4Drop into hot oil and cook until golden brown. Turning occasionally.
- 5For the Corn: Lightly coat each piece with the mustard. Coat with the fish fry, and deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Freshwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Freshwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Fish Fry (Cajun)
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.0
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 140.1 mg
- Sodium 556.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 61.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Tony Chachere's Seasoning