1 hr 5 mins
Miss Annie's Note:
This is a real Southern dish. Not too many people have access to Lady Cream Peas, so Black Eyed peas may be substitued. A wonderful dish. I serve with beef or pork and cornbread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Discard any skin on salt pork.
- 2Cut into 1/3" pieces and cook in a heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until fat is rendered and pork is crisp and golden, about 6-8 minutes.
- 3Transfer pork to a paper towel to drain.
- 4Pour off all but 1 Tbsp.
- 5fat and cook onions over moderate heat until softened.
- 6Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- 7Stir in peas and water and simmer, uncovered until peas are tender, about 30-35 minutes.
- 8Stir in scallions and salt and pepper, to taste.
- 9Serve over rice and sprinkle with salt pork.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lady Peas with Salt Pork and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.9
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 414.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 5.1 g