Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a real Southern dish. Not too many people have access to Lady Cream Peas, so Black Eyed peas may be substitued. A wonderful dish. I serve with beef or pork and cornbread.
- Discard any skin on salt pork.
- Cut into 1/3" pieces and cook in a heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until fat is rendered and pork is crisp and golden, about 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer pork to a paper towel to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbsp.
- fat and cook onions over moderate heat until softened.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in peas and water and simmer, uncovered until peas are tender, about 30-35 minutes.
- Stir in scallions and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with salt pork.