Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I know there are many versions of this recipe, but this is my favorite. Definitely a crowd pleaser.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel preferred)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes (until tender).
- Stir in the chicken and the next seven ingredients. Remove from heat.
- Tear the corn tortillas into 1-inch pieces, and layer 1/3 of them in the bottom of a greased 13 x 9 inch casserole.
- Top with 1/3 of chicken mixture and 2/3 cup of cheese. Repeat the layers twice.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.
- You can freeze the casserole for a month, if desired. Then thaw it in the fridge overnight, and bake as directed.
Very good! Husband loved it and he suggested more tortillas and adding sliced jalapeños to the dish.
SCRUMPTIOUS! AAA+++ thanks!
This was a very nice dinner, much easier to assemble than traditional enchiladas. I wanted to stretch this into 2 smaller casseroles, so I added an additional cup of chicken, 4 more tortillas, and 1 more cup of cheese. Made half in a 9x9 pan tonight, then froze half the filling, cheese, and tortillas in separate freezer bags for quick assembly later. My somewhat picky son inhaled his serving, which is high praise. Thanks for posting!