Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I know there are many versions of this recipe, but this is my favorite. Definitely a crowd pleaser.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel preferred)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes (until tender).
- Stir in the chicken and the next seven ingredients. Remove from heat.
- Tear the corn tortillas into 1-inch pieces, and layer 1/3 of them in the bottom of a greased 13 x 9 inch casserole.
- Top with 1/3 of chicken mixture and 2/3 cup of cheese. Repeat the layers twice.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.
- You can freeze the casserole for a month, if desired. Then thaw it in the fridge overnight, and bake as directed.