1/3 Photos of Katie Joel's Meatloaf Recipe
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is for the best meatloaf. It makes a moist, tasty and filling dinner treat. The recipe comes from Katie Joel's new cookbook. She makes this for Billy Joel and Paula Deen etc and they love it. I can see why. I followed the recipe except I didn't have parchment paper so I sprayed the baking sheet before putting the meatloaf on it. My oven took 10 minutes more to make it perfection but otherwise it was straight from the recipe. Don't skimp on the fresh herbs they make the recipe flavors melt together and enhance it so much. My husband, mother and children loved it. Katie Joel writes, "I like to call meat loaf 'man loaf' because it's every man's favorite dish," Katie says. "My husband loves when I make meat loaf, and it makes the best leftovers." Further she says, "We love it the next day on white bread with mayonnaise." I do too. Try it and you might start liking meatloaf again. Happy tasting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray lightly with oil.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions, garlic and bay leaf until the onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Add the red pepper and cook until the red pepper is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and thyme and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and let the onion mixture cool. Discard the bay leaf.
- 3In a large bowl, combine the beef, eggs, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of ketchup, the Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and the cooled vegetables. Use your hands to mix everything together.
- 4Transfer the mixture to the center of the baking sheet and form into a loaf. Coat the meat loaf with the remaining 1/2 cup ketchup.
- 5Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours (depending on the shape of your loaf), until the meat loaf is firm. Let set for about 5 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Katie Joel's Meatloaf Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.4
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 160.2 mg
- Sodium 1279.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 35.2 g