Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is for the best meatloaf. It makes a moist, tasty and filling dinner treat. The recipe comes from Katie Joel's new cookbook. She makes this for Billy Joel and Paula Deen etc and they love it. I can see why. I followed the recipe except I didn't have parchment paper so I sprayed the baking sheet before putting the meatloaf on it. My oven took 10 minutes more to make it perfection but otherwise it was straight from the recipe. Don't skimp on the fresh herbs they make the recipe flavors melt together and enhance it so much. My husband, mother and children loved it. Katie Joel writes, "I like to call meat loaf 'man loaf' because it's every man's favorite dish," Katie says. "My husband loves when I make meat loaf, and it makes the best leftovers." Further she says, "We love it the next day on white bread with mayonnaise." I do too. Try it and you might start liking meatloaf again. Happy tasting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray lightly with oil.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions, garlic and bay leaf until the onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Add the red pepper and cook until the red pepper is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and thyme and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and let the onion mixture cool. Discard the bay leaf.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, eggs, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of ketchup, the Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and the cooled vegetables. Use your hands to mix everything together.
- Transfer the mixture to the center of the baking sheet and form into a loaf. Coat the meat loaf with the remaining 1/2 cup ketchup.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours (depending on the shape of your loaf), until the meat loaf is firm. Let set for about 5 minutes before slicing.
What a delicious recipe!!! I followed the instructions only like breezermom I add the ketchup to the top the last 20 minutes of baking. I did make the recipe into two loaves so my DD and DH and I would have our dinner with baked potatoes and green beans. Definately will make this again. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
I basically followed the recipe. Only changes were to add the ketchup to the top in the last 30 minutes of baking to keep it from burning. Everyone loved the meatloaf....looking forward to the leftovers! Made for Holiday tag.
Best meatloaf I have ever made. I'm not a fan of garlic so I left that out. The only other tweak I made was that I used 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef and 1/2 pound of ground pork. In my opinion the red pepper is the star of this recipe as far as the flavor. Second is the bay leaf, so don't leave that out. I put the ketchup on top right away when I first put the loaf in the oven, as the recipe instructed, and it did fine.