1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from My mother's very own "Tried and True" recipe book. It's the absolute best gumbo recipe I've ever tasted. I've never had gumbo in any restaurant which could compare with this one. She got it from My "Aunt" Corrita in New Orleans. Also, it's perfect when working a water spell. Be sure to dish up a bowl for the Gods when you use this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 crabs, cleaned, fresh, broken into 4 parts each, with claws cracked (for lack of fresh crab, 1.5 lbs chicken or fish may be substituted)
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, cleaned and peeled (if only shrimp are used, use 5 lbs)
- 1 pint oyster, raw drained (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 1 cup okra, thinly sliced (optional)
- 5 slices bacon, real pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon crab boil, zatarain's
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1In a large pot, put 2 cups water, salt [to taste] add crab boil, thyme and peppercorns.
- 2Bring to a roiling boil; add crabs and boil for approximately 20 minutes, add tomatoes and okra, and simmer slowly.
- 3While this simmers, make the roux.
- 4Slice the bacon strips into small pieces and fry.
- 6Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in the bacon grease.
- 8To bacon drippings, add enough flour to make a thin gravy.
- 9Use very low flame, stir continuously, taking care to make it dark brown without burning it.
- 10Add bacon and onion& garlic bits back to mixture and heat.
- 11Add roux to simmering seafood pot.
- 12Stir very well.
- 13Add shrimp and simmer approximately 30 minutes.
- 14Add oysters and simmer only until edges of oysters curl.
- 15It is done, serve over a bed of rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Juanita's Creole Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.4
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 207.0 mg
- Sodium 452.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 33.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: