1/3 Photos of Jambalaya
1 hr 40 mins
Michelle Berteig's Note:
This is my own recipe. Probably not very authentic, but it's tasty, my family loves it and there's never any left! Also great for potlucks, it can be prepared in a crockpot. Feel free to make your own additions. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) boxes red beans and rice mix, prepared per package directions (Rice-A-Roni)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen mixed peppers, thawed (red, green and yellow pepper strips)
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces (you can use leftover chicken, or cook 2-3 breasts)
- 8 ounces frozen shrimp, thawed (optional, amount is an estimate, use as much as you like)
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1Prepare Rice-A-Roni Red Beans and Rice according to package directions. While it is cooking, prepare the onions, celery and garlic and saute in a skillet in a small amount of oil until soft.
- 2Open the can of tomatoes and dump into a large stockpot or crockpot. Add the sauteed veggies, cooked chicken and pepper strips to the pot as well. Heat the contents to simmering (or set the crockpot to low if you will be gone all day or high for a few hours).
- 3Using the same skillet from before, saute the thinly sliced sausage and add that to the pot also.
- 4When the Rice-A-Roni is done, remove the lid from the pot and continue to cook and stir until most of the liquid is evaporated, then add to the pot as well. Mix everything up well.
- 5Add hot sauce to taste. If using shrimp, add them close to serving time, so they will heat through but not be overcooked. Heat through and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.8
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 182.7 mg
- Sodium 1060.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 38.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red beans and rice mix