My father worked for J. Edgar Hoover, so when I found this recipe I had to post it! Adapted from CD Kitchens.
- Before starting to make popovers put the greased popover pans into a 450 degrees F. oven and heat until they are sizzling hot.
- Beat eggs on medium speed a few minutes until frothy with an electric mixer.
- Add salt, sugar, flour and half the milk and mix again, medium speed, until smooth.
- Now add remaining milk and melted shortening, and beat at low speed until blended.
- Pour batter into hot popover pans, filling each about half full.
- Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 400°F and continue baking for 15 minutes longer.