A creole version of this Southern favorite. A must for New Year's Day, but we love it year round.
Make and share this Hoppin' John recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 package grated pimento cheese
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut in pieces (or use 1/4 cup bacon drippings)
- 3 -4 slices of cooked crumbled bacon
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, undrained
- Mix all ingredients before the bacon.
- Pour into a 2 qrt buttered casserole with cover.
- Bake at 350, tightly covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover, stir and toss lightly with blackeyed peas; cover and bake 30 more minutes.
- Garnish with bacon, parsley and pimento.