1/1 Photo of Hoppin' John
2 hrs 15 mins
A creole version of this Southern favorite. A must for New Year's Day, but we love it year round.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 package grated pimento cheese
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cut in pieces (or use 1/4 cup bacon drippings)
- 3 -4 slices of cooked crumbled bacon
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1Mix all ingredients before the bacon.
- 2Pour into a 2 qrt buttered casserole with cover.
- 3Bake at 350, tightly covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Uncover, stir and toss lightly with blackeyed peas; cover and bake 30 more minutes.
- 5Garnish with bacon, parsley and pimento.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoppin' John
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.6
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 23.0 mg
- Sodium 894.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: