1 hr 30 mins
Simple, no soaking beans overnight, and doesn't take much time or attention.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup salt pork, coarsely cubed
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken stock (if you want it soupier, increase the stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (Go easy on the salt, the salt pork seasons for you.)
- 1/2 cup of uncooked instant rice (I went really easy on the rice, you may prefer a cup.)
- 1Heat oil and butter in dutch oven.
- 2Sear salt pork on all sides for four minutes.
- 3Add the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic and saute for another four to five minutes.
- 4Add the peas, half the stock, and all seasonings.
- 5Bring to a boil and simmer with the lid off for thirty to forty minutes, or until reduced to 1/4 cup of liquid.
- 6Add remaining cup of stock and return to a boil.
- 7Reduce to a simmer and simmer for another ten minutes.
- 8Add Minute Rice, stir and let sit covered until rice becomes the texture you like.
- 9Serve with hot sauce and some soppin' bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoppin' John
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.7
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.8 mg
- Sodium 742.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: