1/4 Photos of Heart Healthy Shrimp Gumbo With Cajun Spice Mix
Perhaps this isn't authentic but is is a lot healthier and quite tasty in it's own right. For ZWT this is Southern States regional.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb large shrimp, in shells (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green peppers (and or red sweet pepper)
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
1 recipe cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice or 3 cups brown rice
- green onion (optional)
- bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1Thaw shrimp, if frozen.
- 2Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact if desired.
- 3Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels.
- 4In a medium skillet, cook flour over medium heat about 6 minutes or until brown, stirring often.
- 5Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside.
- 6In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- 7Add onion, sweet pepper, celery, and garlic; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender.
- 8Slowly whisk broth into browned flour.
- 9Add broth mixture, water, and Cajun Spice Mix to Dutch oven.
- 10Stir in okra.
- 11Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 12Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 13Add shrimp; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp is pink.
- 14To Serve:.
- 15spoon gumbo into 8 bowls. Top each serving with rice, a shrimp, and a green onion, if desired.
- 16If desired, pass hot pepper sauce. Makes 8 (1-1/4 cups gumbo plus 1/3 cup rice) servings.
- 17Cajun Spice Mix: In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed; 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper; 1/4 teaspoon salt; 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heart Healthy Shrimp Gumbo With Cajun Spice Mix
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.1
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.6 mg
- Sodium 416.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium beef broth