There is nothing like a delicious meal that you make in one pot! Low in fat and high in flavour, this counts for only 8 WW points. Enjoy!
- 1 lb shrimp, frozen, cooked (31/40 ct.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, smoked or sweet
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (or more if you like the heat)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Thaw shrimp according to package instructions; reserve in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and hot pepper flakes. Cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice until grains are shiny and coated. Pour in tomato juice, broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium and stir in corn and green pepper. Cover again and cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in shrimp and cook,, covered, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutesbefore serving. Squeeze lemon juice from lemon over rice and garnish with green onions.
This was very nice indeed. Easy to make and nice and filling. Made for ZWT 9 for the Tasty Testers.
Easy to make and tasty. I followed the recipe exactly. Like the previous reviewer, we also thought it was a little bland, so added hot sauce to it at the table. We prefer jambalaya with a more smoky taste and a combination of meats, but this was good and we definitely enjoyed it. I would make it again, using the same technique, but adding in a variety of meats and other ingredients. Made for Pink Panthers on the Prowl for ZWT9.
Thanks, we had a really nice dinner tonight! Everyone liked it. I used long grain brown rice, so had to add about 1 1/2 cups more broth, and of course it took longer but that's to be expected. I had to sub tinned tomatoes as I forgot to buy tomato juice....I liked having the pieces of tomato in there. Certainly a healthy meal! The flavour I found a little on the bland side (aside from heat), so as I had just made "Cajun Seasoning" I added about a tsp in. Very nice thanks Nif! Made for ZWT5 Cooks w/Dirty Faces Team.