Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The starting point for this recipe is credited to CrystalA. Without her original recipe, I never could have come up with this one. This flavorful family favorite is comfort food at its best.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 2 drops liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
pan drippings gravy
- 1⁄4 cup of leftover dredging flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef base (optional)
- Combine ground beef, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper.
- In a measuring cup combine evaporated milk, Kitchen Bouquet and Liquid Smoke.
- Add to hamburg mixture.
- Form into 4 patties, they will be loose.
- Dredge patties in flour, pepper mixture (save leftover mixture for gravy).
- Saute in pan with melted butter until well browned, about 4 minutes.
- Remove patties.
- For gravy, add flour to pan drippings and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, making a roux.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire Sauce and beef base, if using.
- Place patties in gravy, cover and simmer over med-low heat for 20 minutes, turning once.
Excellent! I had to substitute ground turkey and olive oil for cooking. Instead of salt and pepper I used 2 tsps of Canadian Steak Seasoning and mixed with the meat. Beef is so flavorable and ground turkey needs a little boost. The pan dripping gravy sounded wonderful but...I had to use no beef base or beef broth and used the drippings and flour into a roux and added milk and water and salt and pepper and it was rich in flavor. Thanks for posting. I LOVED THE EVAPORATED MILK WITH THE FIXINGS IN THE MEAT. iT IS GOOD AND GOOD FOR YOU WITHOUT THE EXTRA FAT!! I am going to try this with ground smoked ham and see what happens. Thanks again.
This is comfort food at its best! The hamburgers were very tasty, tender and moist. Loved the onions and green peppers in it. We found the gravy a perfect compliment to this dish. I served this along with my green beans and cherry tomatoes and a side salad. Ahhhhh, life is good! Thanks for ANOTHER great recipe, Deely.
The hamburgers tasted great, but I wasn't sold on the gravy - I found it quite bland and uninteresting. Good recipie for a family dinner