I was served this when I was a guest at someone's house as a teen. At the time I would have told you I didn't like squash but I enjoyed these!
- 4 medium summer squash (about 6 inches) or 4 medium zucchini (about 6 inches)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-inch shell.
- Chop pulp and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook shells in boiling water for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender; remove from the heat.
- Add ham, bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, egg, paprika, pepper and squash pulp; mix well.
- Spoon into shells.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 425°F for 12-15 minutes or until heated through.