Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was served this when I was a guest at someone's house as a teen. At the time I would have told you I didn't like squash but I enjoyed these!
- 4 medium summer squash (about 6 inches) or 4 medium zucchini (about 6 inches)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-inch shell.
- Chop pulp and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook shells in boiling water for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender; remove from the heat.
- Add ham, bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, egg, paprika, pepper and squash pulp; mix well.
- Spoon into shells.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 425°F for 12-15 minutes or until heated through.
I made this as written, using Zucchini. The stuffing was salty but good, but the Zucchini underneath tasted blah. I probably would have salted the Zucchini underneath and used a less salty ham (my own fault) in the mix. My husband liked it, and I'll make it again. Thanks.
I enjoyed this recipe. Always great to find something to use up the surplus with. I made some substitutions due to taste or necessity. (hence no rating) I had yellow summer squash that was quite mature so the "pulp" were seeds and I discarded them. To make up for it I added 1/2 of a chopped zucchini with skin to the onion mixture and cooked them together. (I was afraid it wouldn't cook in time in the oven). I omitted the Parmesan and used mozzarella for the chedder cheese. I didn't measure the pepper probably just used a dash. I found it a little bland... maybe that was the choice of cheese. (or needed more pepper?) I may try adding some more spices next time.
As a non-squash lover, I found this dish so amazing and flavorful! I changed the recipe just a bit due to what I had available. I began with olive oil in a pan and added 2 cloves of garlic (I also made this with just one zucchini). I added diced smoked turkey and the innards of the zucchini to the garlic. After I removed the pan from the heat I added cheddar cheese as the recipe states and also chopped fresh basil leaves. Along with adding Parmesan cheese to the top, I also mixed it into the "filler". The flavor in this was just incredible! Thank you so much for re-introducing me to summer squashes!