This is a great mayo based cold salad for the summer. When I was little, my mom would make a bowl and I would finish all of the leftovers the next day. Since my fiance hates onions, I stir them in last after I scoop his half into another bowl.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, peel and dice boiled egg and onion. Drain cans of ham and place in a bowl. Using a fork, shred the ham.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add egg, onion, pickle relish, and mayonnaise. Stir. If salad is too dry, add more mayonnaise.
- Add season salt to taste. Stir.
- Serve warm with Club Crackers or cover and chill several hours in the refrigerator and serve cold (preferred).
What a nice change from tuna! I would have never thought of using ham. I used the recipe for Homemade Mayonnaise and this was really good. Made for Fall PAC '08. Thank you for sharing!
I am not a macaroni salad fan but thought I would try this for lunch this week. I really enjoy this salad. Used low-fat mayonnaise and was not disappointed. I also used dill pickle relish instead of sweet. Thank you for a new way to use canned ham.
Delicious! I do this with tuna all the time, but never even realized that ham came in those same small cans.. This is great, because now I can take this to work for lunch, as tuna is one of those 'forbidden' foods that co-workers don't like having to smell, lol. I didn't use any salt, for the canned ham was salty enough.. Thanks much for this - I will be doing this alot..