2 hrs 30 mins
This is my mothers recipe. I love it in the winter with corn bread. Rivels are like tiny little dumplings and add so much goodness and texture to the soup. The soup is her southern version, but the rivels were added when she moved to the PA Dutch area. Cook and prep times are apporximate, since my mom boils the ham, celery and onion, ham hock, for at least an hour on medium. This freezes very well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 ham hocks, if desired (This adds more flavor)
- 2 (32 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 1In a large pot (stock pot) a little more than half full of water, add 1 large chopped onion or less, 2 or 3 stalks of chopped celery and the ham hocks.
- 2Cook until ham hock is tender and celery is cooked down.
- 3Remove ham from bones, discard fat and return ham to pot.
- 4Add both cans of Great Northern beans.
- 5Bring to a boil.
- 6Turn heat down to medium and let it boil until the broth does not look watery, stirring often to prevent sticking (1-2 hours).
- 7Combine the flour, raw egg and salt in a small bowl.
- 8Stir together till crumbly with a fork.
- 9May have to use your fingers.
- 10Take parts of mixture and crumble over bean mixture in pot, with fingers, stirring a little after each.
- 11Dump any loose leftover flour from mixture into the beans to help thicken broth and then stir well.
- 12If you want more rivels, repeat the steps for making them.
- 13Lower heat to simmer, uncovered about 7 to 10 minutes.
- 14Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 15Cover and cook 5 minutes more.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham & Bean Soup With Rivels
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.6
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 59.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: