1/2 Photos of Gwen's Original Squash Casserole
This dish has been a staple on Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember. I don't remember my mom making squash any other way. I just know that when I tried it as a child for the first time I remember how delicious it was. A Thanksgiving without it is not a real Thanksgiving at my house. Other's have tried to duplicate it and failed. There is only one way to make it and this is it. Don't substitute or change anything, follow the directions to a "T". Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place squash, carrots and onions in medium pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and continue to cook till fork tender. Drain well in collander.
- 2Melt the stick of butter in bottom of casserole. Mix in the cornbread stuffing. (Reserve half of mixture to use as topping).
- 3Spread other half on the bottom of the casserole.
- 4Combine cream of chicken and sour cream with the drained squash. Add black pepper to taste.
- 5Add to casserole dish and then top with remaining cornbread topping.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes until it bubbles around edges and is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gwen's Original Squash Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.0
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 41.0 mg
- Sodium 818.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 5.6 g