My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash rabbit and thoroughly disjoint.
- 2Combine yolks and buttermilk, gradually add 3/4 cup of the flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- 3Beat until smooth.
- 4Heat lard in a frying pan to 360 degrees.
- 5Dip rabbit in batter and fry in lard, 7 minutes on each side.
- 6Reduce heat to 275 degrees and cook, turning frequently, until rabbit is tender, about 30 more minutes.
- 7Remove rabbit and drain on brown paper.
- 8Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of lard in pan.
- 9Over medium heat slowly stir remaining 1/4 cup of flour into lard, scraping up pieces of crust from bottom of pan.
- 10When smooth, gradually stir in milk.
- 11Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until gravy is smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 12Add a little more milk if gravy seems too thick.
- 13Remove from heat, add pepper, then salt to taste.
- 14Serve with rabbit.
Browse Our Top Rabbit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rabbit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Rabbit and Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (1785 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1909.0
- Calories from Fat 920
- Total Fat 102.3 g
- Saturated Fat 37.1 g
- Cholesterol 669.4 mg
- Sodium 1600.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 163.5 g