Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- Wash rabbit and thoroughly disjoint.
- Combine yolks and buttermilk, gradually add 3/4 cup of the flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- Beat until smooth.
- Heat lard in a frying pan to 360 degrees.
- Dip rabbit in batter and fry in lard, 7 minutes on each side.
- Reduce heat to 275 degrees and cook, turning frequently, until rabbit is tender, about 30 more minutes.
- Remove rabbit and drain on brown paper.
- Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of lard in pan.
- Over medium heat slowly stir remaining 1/4 cup of flour into lard, scraping up pieces of crust from bottom of pan.
- When smooth, gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until gravy is smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add a little more milk if gravy seems too thick.
- Remove from heat, add pepper, then salt to taste.
- Serve with rabbit.
You are missing a great meal if you do not prepare this one.. The rabbit was outstanding and the recipe followed exactly although many prefer white wine with rabbit I find that a light Pinot Noir slightly chilled does wonders with it.