Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 46 mins
This is a delicious recipe--crunchy outside and juicy inside. I saw a guest of Julia Child make this on one of her cooking shows. A friend of mine said that this is a really old recipe that has been around for a long, long time.
- Wash the chicken pieces and remove excess fat. I use drumsticks since my children like those, but use whatever you want, just adjust the cooking time.
- Place the cleaned chicken pieces in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle generously with salt and black pepper and mix well rubbing the seasonings a little bit into the skin. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl put the two eggs. Beat them with a fork. Add the evaporated milk and the water. Mix again. Set aside.
- In a large pie plate or other large shallow dish put the flour. Generously season with black pepper and seasoning salt. Stir to blend.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Let the oil heat for a good 13-15 minutes.
- When the oil is almost ready, mix the evaporated milk mixture up again. Dip one piece of chicken at a time in the milk mixture and then dredge it in the seasoned flour. Put the chicken piece in the hot oil. Repeat with more chicken pieces until the frying pan is full.
- Cook in the hot oil 20-25 minutes, depending on the pieces that you are frying, turning every 4-5 minutes. I usually cook these drumsticks around 21-22 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the rest of the chicken until it has all been cooked.
- If you like your fried chicken spicy, 2 teaspoons cajun spice mixture can be added to the flour, or use whatever spices you desire.