Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Remember the great book and movie, "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe?" This is from Fannie Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook, and is truly a Southern comfort food. Hope you like it!! Serve with hushpuppies and coleslaw for a real winner.
- 6 medium catfish, cleaned and dressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- Sprinkle catfish on both sides with salt and pepper; if desired, douse with hot sauce. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and cornmeal and dredge catfish in mixture.
- Fry in hot bacon drippings about 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown on both sides.
This is true simple Southern style fried catfish. This was such a treat. I did not use the hot sauce, but added about 3 hearty dashes of cayenne pepper to the breading. I also used 1/4 cup canola oil for frying. These fish were cooked perfectly in the time suggested. My only issue is that the amount of flour and cornmeal listed is WAY too much for 6 fillets. It is more along the lines of cooking a whole platter of fish for a crowd. I had probably 2/3's of the breading mixture leftover, which is a large waste. Next time I will only use 1/3 cup of each. Thanks for posting! I really enjoyed this! Made for My 3 Chefs event November 2009.