1/1 Photo of Especially Good Meat Loaf (South)
1 hr 10 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe was found in the 1986 cookbook, The Heritage of Southern Cooking. If you don't have or want to use the smoked ham, increase the pork to 1/2 pound.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1/4 lb smoked ham, ground, baked (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (1 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, soft
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices lean bacon, smoked, cut in half
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large bowl, combine meats with the onion, thyme, breadcrumbs, eggs, salt & pepper, mixing well with a fork (not with your hands, since that will toughen freshly ground meat), then form into a large loaf.
- 3Place 3 to 6 pieces of bacon in the bottom of a baking dish, then lay the loaf on top of the bacon, before covering the top of the loaf with the rest of the bacon (which adds flavor & moisture).
- 4Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until the outside of the loaf is golden brown, the juices run clear when the loaf is poked with a skewer, & it feels firm to the touch.
- 5Discard all the bacon & serve either hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Especially Good Meat Loaf (South)
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.4
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 176.5 mg
- Sodium 1178.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 33.8 g