1/2 Photos of Emeril's Shrimp Stew
3 hrs 15 mins
Posted from "Every Day's a Party" by Emeril Lagasse; posted for ZWT 5. From the intro to the recipe - "Shrimp stew is practically a staple dish in the area of Louisiana known as Acadiana, in the southern part of the state. Old time cooks garnished the dish with chopped hard-boil eggs. If you can, purchase shrimp with the heads and tails intact so that you can use them to make a stock. (In a pinch, you can substitute 1 quart of chicken broth.)"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, shells and heads on
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and finely chopped
- 1Peel the shrimp and reserve the shells and heads.
- 2Refrigerate the shrimp and put the shells and heads in a large saucepan. Add the water, quartered onion, bay leaves, and 1 tablespoon of the salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat and strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- 4Discard the peelings and set aside the shrimp stock.
- 5Combine the oil and flour in a large cast-iron pot or enameled cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 6Stirring slowly and constantly, make a roux the color of peanut butter, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 7Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the shrimp stock and whisk to blend with the roux. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Add the shrimp, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne and cook for 20 minutes.
- 9Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- 10Ladle into individual soup bowls, garnish with the chopped eggs, and serve hot.
- 11Note: The stew can also be served over white rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Shrimp Stew
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.3
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 301.0 mg
- Sodium 1615.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 34.5 g