Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from a Coast Guard wife whose husband worked with mine. She was from a tiny town in Louisiana and said sometimes her dad would work for shrimp when it was in season and her mom would make this with some homemade biscuits to go with it. I lost this recipe once, and tried some more elaborate recipes for the etoufee, but this ones is TONS better than any I've tried.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 -2 lb shrimp, cleaned & deveined
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- hot white rice
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Sauté veggies until crisp-tender. Add soups & tomatoes. Simmer 45 minutes, then add shrimp, Cook until pink. Serve over hot white rice.
I forgot to say the recipes I had called for 2 cans of cream of mushroom instead of 1 as well as fresh celery instead of the celery soup. Thanks again for posting this recipe!! Sheri
I can't tell you how long I have been looking for an easy to make recipe for shrimp etouffee, that doesn't have a ton of ingredients. I love this recipe! I like mine on the spicy side so I added chipotle and chili powder. Also, the one I used to eat was a little creamier than this so I added cream of chicken and milk. Man! It's so good. It's not that much like the one I used to eat at this Cajun restaurant in WV, but it is still very, very good. Thanks so much for uploading this!!!
I've made this twice now. The first time, I followed the directions as written and the second time I used only 1/2 stick of butter and added garlic powder and creole seasoning to taste. Yummy!