Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I'm posting this recipe because I love it so much! When I'm short on time, energy or ideas (or all 3) this recipe is my ace up my sleeve. I actually got it several years ago by eavesdropping in line at some mega mart on a distinguish established southern belle advising a young newlywed southern belle. But, don't worry, she was pleased to know I, too, was taking notes. I tweaked her recipe to my liking; I love onions and cheese, and prefer the cream of mushroom. Also, I prefer to leave out the celery, but my family likes it in.
- 1 lb frozen tater tots
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (separated into 2 - 1/4 cup portions) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (separated into 2 - 1/4 cup portions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup cream of mushroom soup or 1⁄4 cup cream of chicken soup or 1⁄4 cup cream of celery soup
- 1⁄4 pint sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 1⁄4 cup celery
- Defrost tater tots; preheat oven to 350.
- Combine 1/4 cup butter, salt, pepper, soup & sour cream (& chives).
- Mix tater tots with onion and cheese (& celery).
- Mix #2 & #3.
- Pour into greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Mix 1/4 cup butter with crushed potato chips; sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
We really enjoyed this recipe. The potato chips were so greasy, so the second time we made it we left off the chips, divided the cheese and put half of it on top. We cut the amount of butter in half because we added chopped roasted jalapenos and crumbled bacon. We also broke up the tots a little before mixing with the other ingredients. We liked that texture better in the finished dish. Thank you!
I made this casserole this past weekend for a large gathering of people and it was a HUGE hit! I doubled up the recipe so there would be enough for a large group. It ended up being everyone's favorite dish and I got several compliments on it. I used cream of chicken soup and left the celery out, I also did not put chips on the top of it and I'm glad that I didn't because it was great the way it was. I definitely recommend this recipe!
My family really enjoyed this recipe!!!! I left out the celery :-)