2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Member #610488's Note:
New Orleans Creole cuisine offers this dish to us served during the Christmas Eve Réveillon. This recipe is from the Brennan family of New Orlean's restaurant fame.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon, chopped (smoked)
- 6 (10 ounce) duck legs, quarters skinned
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1/2 cup carrot, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 6 cups frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped and divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped and divided
- 1Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving 3 tbsp drippings in the pan. Set bacon aside.
- 2Increase heat to medium-high. Sprinkle duck legs with half the salt and pepper. Add three duck legs to drippings. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining duck legs.
- 3Add onion and garlic to pan and saute for 3 minutes. Add remaining salt and pepper, mushrooms, celery and carrot. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 20 minutes or until very tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Stir in broth, peas, half the thyme and half the parsley. Return duck to pan and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hours 20 minutes or until duck is tender. Stir occasionally, slightly mashing beans occasionally with fork or potato masher.
- 5Remove duck from pan and cool slightly. Remove meat from bones and shred. Discard bones. Return meat to pan.
- 6Simmer 20 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining thyme and parsley. Sprinkle with bacon.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duck Réveillon Cassoulet
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.1
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 11.5 mg
- Sodium 456.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth