Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
- Rinse the wild rice, drain, and set aside.
- Skin the dove breasts, wipe with lemon juice, and salt and pepper the breasts.
- Chop the mushrooms, scallions and celery.
- Sautee them in the butter lightly (3-5 minutes).
- Put the wild rice in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Arrange the dove breasts on top of the wild rice.
- Pour celery, mushroom, and scallion mixture over doves.
- Add rest of ingredients (tarragon, white wine, and chicken stock).
- Place the dish, covered, in a 325 degree preheated oven and let cook for one and one half to one and three quarter hours (90- 105 minutes).
The rice tasted wonderful. I used seasoned wild rice instead of plain. However, the dove (as they usually are) were a little bland. I am still searching for a great dove recipe that doesn't involve bacon. Tip for all of you wild game chefs: Soak dove or quail overnight in milk to tenderize and take away gamey taste!