Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
From Southern Living 1981, this recipe makes a delicious pot of gumbo. I love the flavor combination of the doves and sausage.
- 15 dove breasts
- 10 1⁄2 ounces consomme
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 lb smoked sausage, 1/4 " slices browned and drained
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce
- hot cooked rice
- Cover the breasts with water in a dutch oven; boil 10 minutes.
- Remove the breasts, cool and de-bone; set aside.
- Add water to the cooking liquid in the dutch oven to make 2 1/4c liquid.
- Add the consomme and bouillon cube to the dutch oven; cook until the cube dissolves.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet; add the dove meat and brown.
- Remove the meat to a platter and drain it well.
- Pour off all but 1/4 c of the oil; add flour and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the roux is copper colored.
- This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 c of the consomme liquid to the roux.
- Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Add the onion and celery; cook about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the roux mixture to the remaining liquid in the dutch oven and stir well to combine.
- Add in the worcestershire and seasonings.
- Add the sausage and dove to the dutch oven.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine and hot sauce.
- Stir well and heat through; remove the bay leaves.
- Serve the gumbo over hot rice.