2 hrs 35 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
From Southern Living 1981, this recipe makes a delicious pot of gumbo. I love the flavor combination of the doves and sausage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 dove breasts
- 10 1/2 ounces consomme
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 lb smoked sausage, 1/4 " slices browned and drained
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- hot cooked rice
- 1Cover the breasts with water in a dutch oven; boil 10 minutes.
- 2Remove the breasts, cool and de-bone; set aside.
- 3Add water to the cooking liquid in the dutch oven to make 2 1/4c liquid.
- 4Add the consomme and bouillon cube to the dutch oven; cook until the cube dissolves.
- 5Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet; add the dove meat and brown.
- 6Remove the meat to a platter and drain it well.
- 7Pour off all but 1/4 c of the oil; add flour and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the roux is copper colored.
- 8This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- 9Gradually add 1 1/2 c of the consomme liquid to the roux.
- 10Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- 11Add the onion and celery; cook about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- 12Add the roux mixture to the remaining liquid in the dutch oven and stir well to combine.
- 13Add in the worcestershire and seasonings.
- 14Add the sausage and dove to the dutch oven.
- 15Simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 16Add the wine and hot sauce.
- 17Stir well and heat through; remove the bay leaves.
- 18Serve the gumbo over hot rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dove and Sausage Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.5
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 38.7 mg
- Sodium 1284.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 16.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: