I make this as a one-dish meal on the stovetop. I normally don't add salt, because the sausages are salty enough without it. Yes, the onion and bell pepper are listed twice, because they are cut differently and added at different times.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons celery, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 Italian sausages, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chicken livers, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a deep, heavy skillet with a close-fitting cover.
- Add diced onion, celery, diced bell pepper, and garlic, and saute until well-browned, stirring often.
- Add sausage and chicken livers. Cook, stirring often, until sausage is well-browned.
- Add reserved liquid from mushrooms and scrape bottom of pan.
- Add thyme, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Stir in mushrooms, chopped onion, and chopped bell pepper. Cook until onions are slightly softened.
- Stir in rice. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add stock, stir, and add shrimp.
- Reduce heat to very low. Cover tightly and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, about 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.