1/3 Photos of Dirty Rice With Sausage and Shrimp
1 hr 5 mins
I make this as a one-dish meal on the stovetop. I normally don't add salt, because the sausages are salty enough without it. Yes, the onion and bell pepper are listed twice, because they are cut differently and added at different times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons celery, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 Italian sausages, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chicken livers, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1Heat oil over medium-high heat in a deep, heavy skillet with a close-fitting cover.
- 2Add diced onion, celery, diced bell pepper, and garlic, and saute until well-browned, stirring often.
- 3Add sausage and chicken livers. Cook, stirring often, until sausage is well-browned.
- 4Add reserved liquid from mushrooms and scrape bottom of pan.
- 5Add thyme, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Stir in mushrooms, chopped onion, and chopped bell pepper. Cook until onions are slightly softened.
- 6Stir in rice. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- 7Add stock, stir, and add shrimp.
- 8Reduce heat to very low. Cover tightly and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, about 40 minutes.
- 9Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dirty Rice With Sausage and Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.1
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 1235.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: