I invented this version of dirty rice to accompany my husbands fantastic ribs. It's easy to make, but it does want to simmer for a good long time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 5 cups mushroom broth (I use Better than Boullion)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 carrot, chopped small
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped into 1 in long pieces
- 1 white onion, 1/2 diced 1/2 chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Fry the Bacon.
- Cook the onion in the grease until it's translucent.
- Add the olive oil, oregano,basil, cumin, garlic.
- Rinse your rice 3 times.
- Add rice and sautee for 10 minutes.
- Add broth, beans (do not drain), bay leaves, and soup.
- Cover, Bring to a boil, turn down heat to between low and medium.
- Simmer for at least an hour, ideally two.