This has gotten the thumbs up from my husband, who is from Louisiana. Not bad, considering I'm an Aussie!
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 lb chicken breast, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- Combine first 7 seasonings in a small bowl and set aside.
- Coat a frying pan with oil spray and place in chicken and bay leaves.
- Cook over high heat until meat is browned.
- Stir in seasoning mix.
- Add onion, capsicum, celery and garlic, and stir.
- Add margarine and stir until melted.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring and scraping bottom of pan occasionally.
- Add chicken stock and stir.
- Heat until boiling.
- Add rice and stir thoroughly.
- Cover pan and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.