Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Dirty Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb chicken gizzard (optional)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 lb pork, Ground
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 yellow onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, green
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups pork stock
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 lb chicken liver (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice
- Mince onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- Grind livers and gizzards.
- Place fat, gizzards, pork and bay leaves in large heavy skillet over high heat; cook until meat is thoroughly browned, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, Tabasco, salt, pepper, paprika, mustard, cumin, thyme, and oregano; stir thoroughly, scraping pan bottom well.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook about 8 minutes, stirring constantly and scraping pan bottom well.
- Add the stock or water and stir until any mixture sticking to the pan bottom comes loose; cook about 8 minutes over high heat, stirring once.
- Then stir in the chicken livers and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir thoroughly; cover pan and turn heat to very low; cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave covered until rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
Alot of work (I actually made the pork broth) and really wasn't that good. Gristly (from gizzards) and too strong a liver taste.
This is a great recipe. Really easy to make. I left out the gizzards and livers and used chorizo sausage and chicken instead. I made 6 servings, but it could have easily served 12.