2 hrs 15 mins
An Authentic recipe for Cajun Dirty rice. My Mother got from a restaurant in LA. Takes a while to cook, but well worth the results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb chicken giblets, finely chopped
- 1 lb bulk sausage, crumbled
- 1/2 cup bacon drippings or 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- 6 green onion tops, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 8 -10 cups hot cooked white rice
- 1Prepare vegetables as directed.
- 2Add crushed garlic.
- 3Brown sausage in large pot.
- 4Remove sausage and set aside.
- 5To sausage drippings, add enough bacon drippings or oil to make 1/2 cup.
- 6Add flour and brown, stirring constantly, over medium-high-heat until the roux is very dark brown (about the color of an old penny).
- 7Be careful not to scorch the roux.
- 8Immediately add chopped vegetables and stir and cook a few minutes.
- 9Then add chopped giblets and cook until pink color is gone.
- 10Add water, the sausage and seasonings and simmer 2 hours.
- 1130 minutes before serving, add green onion tops and parsley.
- 12Before serving, add hot cooked rice, mix well.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dirty Rice
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.2
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 60.8 mg
- Sodium 170.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green onion tops