Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An Authentic recipe for Cajun Dirty rice. My Mother got from a restaurant in LA. Takes a while to cook, but well worth the results.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb chicken giblets, finely chopped
- 1 lb bulk sausage, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup bacon drippings or 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- 6 green onion tops, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 8 -10 cups hot cooked white rice
- Prepare vegetables as directed.
- Add crushed garlic.
- Brown sausage in large pot.
- Remove sausage and set aside.
- To sausage drippings, add enough bacon drippings or oil to make 1/2 cup.
- Add flour and brown, stirring constantly, over medium-high-heat until the roux is very dark brown (about the color of an old penny).
- Be careful not to scorch the roux.
- Immediately add chopped vegetables and stir and cook a few minutes.
- Then add chopped giblets and cook until pink color is gone.
- Add water, the sausage and seasonings and simmer 2 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add green onion tops and parsley.
- Before serving, add hot cooked rice, mix well.
This was so good. My family loved it. I had looked at several recipes before I decided on this one. My hubby insisted we use chicken livers as well as the giblets and sausage. I went ahead and added the rice to the pot about 45 minutes before serving as opposed to cooking the rice separately (probably need to add it a little sooner next time, as the rice did not all get totally done). Oh and I bought the wrong kind of sausage so was unable to crumble it, so I cut it very small. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. It was time consuming, but not something I would not do again. It was well worth the work. Thanks for sharing.